Quantcast
Channel: The Historical Marker Database - New Entries
Viewing all 72790 articles
Browse latest View live

Pierre LeMoyne Sieur d'Iberville

0
0
Mississippi, Harrison County, Biloxi
Canada's first hero was sent by King Louis XIV to locate the mouth of the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico. His landing on the Biloxi peninsula in 1699 began the colonization of the Mississippi Coast and the Louisiana Territory.

This statue was created by artist Mary Ott Tremmel Davidson and presented to the City of Biloxi by the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce in 2000 to commemorate the city's 1999 Tricentennial.

The statue was re-installed in 2013 with funds appropriated by the Mississippi Legislature, 2011 Tidelands Grant funds, through the Secretary of State, Delbert Horsemann, and the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.

Mayor A.J. Holloway
Biloxi City Council
George Lawrence • Robert L. Deming III
Felix Gines • Paul A. Tisdale
Dixie Newman • Kenny Glavan
David Fayard

Dale Partners Architects, P.A.
George P. Hopkins, Inc.

(Settlements & Settlers • Exploration) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Brielmaier House

0
0
Mississippi, Harrison County, Biloxi
This house was built in 1895 for Mrs. Henry Graves and soon sold to her brother, Paul W. Brielmaier. A skilled carpenter who was superintendent and later owner of a local millwork company. Brielmaier may have constructed the house as a showcase for the Victorian ornament produced by his company. Originally located at 436 Main Street, the Brielmaier House was moved in the 1980s for use as Biloxi's tourist information center and destroyed in 2005 by Hurricane Katrina's tidal surge.

(Notable Buildings • Disasters) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Piers, Ports and Wharves: A Look At Pensacola's Waterfront

0
0
Florida, Escambia County, Pensacola
During the mid-1800s, 16 wharves reached into Pensacola Bay, along a three-mile stretch of waterfront from Bayou Texas to Bayou Chico. A few years later, around 1900, railroad companies invested in Pensacola's port facilities, improving wharves and piers in an effort to remain competitive in the shipping industry.

In 1943, the Pensacola Port Authority was formed; in 1976, port management was transferred to the City of Pensacola. Under public ownership, the port facilities have been modernized and maintained. Today, tons of bulk cargo pass through the Port of Pensacola each year.

(Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Mooring Anchor

0
0
Florida, Escambia County, Pensacola
Mooring anchors like this one were lowered into Pensacola Bay during the 1800s. A pair of buoyed mooring anchors connected by a long, heavy chain gave sailing ships a place to moor (tie up) while waiting to enter Pensacola's harbor to load or unload cargo.

This three-ton mooring anchor was discovered in Pensacola Bay by the U.S. Navy in 1965. It was recovered and displayed behind Old Christ Church for many years before being moved to its current location.

(Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

De Soto Trail / A Port with Promise

Previous Mooring Anchor
0
0
Florida, Escambia County, Pensacola
You are standing along the historic route of the conquistador Hernando de Soto and his expedition through the Florida Native American territories in his quest for gold and glory.

A Port With Promise

It's December 28, 1539...

Sailing from De Soto's winter camp near present-day Tallahassee, Captain Francisco Maldonado has just completed scouting this western coastline. He was sent in search of a suitable harbor to establish a port for supply ships from Cuba-

I found an Indian village called Achuse in a large bay by the sea, where I stopped and traded. I captured one Indian trader and plan to take him back to our winter encampment at the Apalachee village of Anhayca. There, he will be presented to Hernando de Soto of interrogation.

The Conquistador Trail
Twenty years after De Soto's expedition, Spanish conquistador Tristan de Luna tried to establish a colony along the coast. Accompanying him were several survivors of De Soto's expedition, who helped with navigation and information about the Indian chiefdoms. Shortly after their arrival, a hurricane hit and sank most of their ships, causing the colony to fail.

The Native Path
The people of Achuse lived along the border of the greater Apalachee chiefdom. They traded fish and other food with the Apalachee Indians for corn, beans, and squash. This way of life changed drastically in the 16th century. One Spanish explorer after another attempted to establish colonies in present day Pensacola Bay—disrupting trade, spreading disease, and interfering in tribal alliances.

"Francisco Maldonado, a nobleman from Salamanca, went in the brigantines cruising the coast and entering all the coves and inlets and river that he saw until he arrived at a river he found had a good entrance, and a good port and a town of Indians on the seacoast."
- Account by Luys Hernandez de Biedma
The De Soto Chronicles

(Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Exploration) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

William Bartram Trail

0
0
Florida, Escambia County, Pensacola
In 1775 William Bartram described Pensacola and the hospitality he received when even Gov. Chester urged him to be his houseguest.

(Exploration) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

The Reconstructed Birthplace

0
0
Texas, Gillespie County, near Stonewall


“I have a mighty fine grandson, smart as you find them. I expect him to be United States Senator before he is forty.”
Grandfather Sam Ealy Johnson, Sr., on young Lyndon Johnson

On this site on a rainy August night in 1908, the future 36th President of the United States was born. He was the first son of Sam Ealy Johnson, Jr.—a state legislator—and Rebekah Baines Johnson, an educator and journalist. Lyndon Baines Johnson lived here for the first five years of his life.

President and Mrs. Johnson had the building in front of you constructed in 1964 as a guest house for visitors to the LBJ Ranch. It stands on the site of, and closely resembles, the original home (removed in the 1940s). Though never intended as a literal reconstruction, “the birthplace” is furnished with Johnson and Taylor Family mementos spanning many generations.

(Background Photo Caption)
The original birth home was built in 1889 by LBJ’s grandfather, Sam Ealy Johnson, Sr.—shown here in front of the house with his wife Eliza. LBJ’s parents moved here after their marriage in 1907. They farmed the surrounding land between Sam, Jr.’s, trips to the legislature in Austin.

(Upper Right Photo Caption)
Lyndon Baines Johnson, six months old.

(Upper Right Photo Caption)
The photograph shows President Johnson on the grounds with his friend, Reverend Billy Graham.

(Notable Places) Includes location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Generations of Johnsons

0
0
Texas, Gillespie County, near Stonewall


Here on these familiar hills under these expansive skies and under these oak trees that he loved so much, his life has come full circle ...
his roots go deep here on this spot in the hill country.

From the eulogy delivered here by the
Reverend Billy Graham
January 25, 1973


(Headstones from left to right)
Birge Alexander • Lucia Huffman Johnson Alexander • Sam Houston Johnson • Josefa Johnson Moss • Oscar Price Bobbitt • Rebekah Johnson Bobbitt • Claudia Taylor “Lady Bird” Johnson • Lyndon Baines Johnson • Rebekah Baines Johnson, Mother • Sam Ealy Johnson, Father • S.E. Johnson and Eliza Johnson, Grandparents

(Cemeteries & Burial Sites) Includes location, directions, 6 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Parish of San Jacinto

0
0
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico

Puestos los dominicos por Hernán Cortés para la guía religiosa de esta comunidad, fundan la iglesia de Tenanitla, parroquia desde 1580. San Jacinto, quien fuera amigo y compañero de Santo Domingo de Guzmán, fue canonizado en 1594, poniendo asi al parroquia bajo su advocación.

English translation:
With the Dominicans appointed by Hernán Cortés as the religious guides of this community, they founded the church of Tenanitla, and it has been a parish since 1580. San Jacinto (Saint Hyacinth), a friend and companion of Saint Domingo de Guzmán, was canonized in 1594, and this parish was soon after named for him.

(Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

The Dolphin House/House of the Marquess of Sierra Nevada

0
0
Mexico, Distrito Federal, Ciudad de Mexico

La Casa del los Delfines
Fue el antiguo rancho de las Palmas. Data del siglo XVIII. Su fachada está adornada con delfines hechos de piedra y otros ornamentos tallados.

La Casa de la Marquesa de Sierra Nevada
Casa de una planta de estilo barroco con reminiscencia mudéjar. Una de sus ventanas está enmarcada por ajaracas en sus laterales, y rematada con un frontón mixtílineo con roleos en los extremos, nicho al centro y escultura.

English translation:
The Dolphin House
This was the old Las Palmas ranch and dates from the 18th century. Its facade is adorned with dolphins made of stone and other carved ornaments.

House of the Marquess of Sierra Nevada
This is a one story Baroque style house with Moorish details. One of its windows is framed with ornamental imprinting on its sides, with stone work over its top of a mixed design with spirals on its ends, a niche in its center and a sculpture.

(Notable Buildings) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Tulia Depot

0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
The town of Tulia, established in 1887 on the Tule Ranch division of the JA ranch, received an economic boost in the early 20th century with the arrival of the railroad. When Tulia began, the nearest rail connection was more than 100 miles away in Colorado City or Quanah. Even after 1888, when rail was extended to Amarillo, a trip from Tulia could take days in inclement weather. In 1906, the Tulia Board of Trade raised funds to entice rail companies to build a line to Tulia. Avery Turner, vice-president and general manager of the Pecos Valley and Northeastern, had surveyed potential new routes through the region, and in Jan. 1906 grading was underway south from Canyon for an extension of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway along Turner’s survey. The first train to stop in Tulia arrived in Dec. 1906.

A. J. Bivens donated land for a frame depot built north of the present site. After this depot burned in 1915, a new facility was built in 1916-17, combining a passenger station, express office and freight house. This single-story brick and stucco building exhibits mission revival style architecture typical of Santa Fe depots, including a deep overhanging ceramic tile roof, prominent brackets, and projecting bays with peaked parapets and the Santa Fe logo. A narrow passageway divided gentlemen’s and ladies’ waiting rooms, with the ticket office facing the railroad tracks. The baggage room was north of the passenger section. The coming of the railroad was a milestone in the development of Tulia and Swisher County, bringing heavy commercial and passenger activity. In 1987, the Santa Fe railway demolished the baggage area, but concerned citizens and Swisher county officials helped save the remaining structure. The depot at the head of Broadway Avenue remains a focal point of the town. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 2010
Marker is property of the State of Texas


(Railroads & Streetcars) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

First Methodist Church of Tulia

Previous Tulia Depot
0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
The Reverend R. M. Morris, area presiding elder Jerome Harelson, and seventeen charter members organized this congregation in 1891. Early worship services, held on alternate Sundays in conjunction with the local Baptist and Presbyterian congregations, were conducted in the town's one-room schoolhouse.

With financial and labor assistance from the entire community, the Methodists built the town's first church building in 1897 with lumber hauled from Amarillo. The tradition of shared services continued, and the Baptist and Presbyterian congregations also worshiped in the Methodist church building until their own facilities were built.

Church membership grew steadily, closely paralleling Tulia's population growth. A new sanctuary was completed in 1929, and by the early 1960s additional facilities were required to meet the congregation's needs. After a denominational name change in 1968, it became known as First United Methodist Church. In 1979, the congregation welcomed the membership of Trinity United Methodist Church in a merger of the two congregations. First United Church continues to serve the citizens of Tulia with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs.

(Churches, Etc.) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

JA Ranch Cabin

0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
Built about 1883, near a natural watering hole, as one of many line camps on the huge JA Ranch. Cowboys lived in these cabins year-round to ride range and keep 100 miles of fence in repair. A floor and new roof have been added.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1969

(Notable Buildings) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Ozark Trails Association

Previous JA Ranch Cabin
0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
Founded in 1913 to mark and promote an automobile route across several states, the Ozark Trails Association was the brainchild of William Hope Harvey of Arkansas, who wanted to improve roads to his Ozark mountain retreat. Thousands of members from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas and Missouri attended annual meetings of the association, which also sought to promote tourism and educate the public to the need for better highways and roads.

The southern route of the Ozark Trail extended across the Texas panhandle through Collingsworth, Childress, Hall, Briscoe, Swisher, Castro and Parmer counties. In 1920, members from these Texas counties and two New Mexico counties met and voted to follow the lead of the national group in placing reinforced concrete signposts along the route in their counties. James E. Swepston of Tulia led this effort and was elected president of the national association at its 1920 annual meeting.

The concrete obelisk placed in Tulia (85 feet northwest) originally denoted the distance from Tulia to various towns on the trail. It retains its identity as a local landmark, and in 2000, the Texas Historical Commission designated the Ozark Trail marker as a State Archeological Landmark. The obelisk also is a reminder of the Ozark Trails Association (disbanded in 1924), one of many private highway associations to sponsor automobile routes before the federal government began numbering and marking such highways after World War I.

(Roads & Vehicles) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Swisher County

0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
Faith and Courage --- Endurance and Success
Established in 1876 by the Texas Legislature from Bexar District
Named for James Gibson Swisher, Hero of the Texas Revolution
Organized July 17, 1890
Pioneers who settled Swisher County
Endured hardships and adversity with unwavering courage
Tulia was named the county seat. Other towns are Happy and Kress
Rural communities and schools of the county were
Adair - Alexander - Auburn - Center Plains - Childress
Claytonville – Elkins – Fanchon – Flynt – Houston
Kaffir – Lakeview – Love – McGuire - New Hope
Price - Red Hill - Sunny Slope – Taylor - Union Hill
Valley View - Vigo Park – Whitfield – Word - Wright
  Agriculture is the predominant industry in Swisher County
Law, Order, Education and Christian principles have sustained
Swisher County People for 100 Years

(Settlements & Settlers) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

John W. Mobberly

Previous Swisher County
0
0
Virginia, Loudoun County, Hillsboro
During the war, this valley southeast of the Federal base at Harpers Ferry between the Blue Ridge and Short Hill was known as "Between the Hills." The much-feared Confederate partisan leader Pvt. ("Captain") John W. Mobberly roamed here from 1863 to 1865. Born five miles north of hear, Mobberly was a hero to some, a sadistic outlaw to others. He and his "gang" raided Federal outposts and Unionists in this valley as far south as Hillsboro, north to Harpers Ferry and beyond, and east over Short Hill toward Lovettsville.

While Mobberly occasionally rode with Confederate Lt. Col. Elijah V. White's 35th Battalion Virginia Cavalry and was also associated with Col. John S. Mosby's 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry, he and his men often acted on their own. They erected barricades here along the Hlllsboro and Harpers Ferry Turnpike to ambush Union cavalry lured from Harpers Ferry. Mobberly's comrade Magnus Thompson, who wrote that "Mobberly ... was reckless beyond all reason and fearless of danger; ... he courted it," also claimed that Mobberly had killed more "Yankees" than any other man in Lee's army.

Mobberly vowed not to be taken alive. Three Loudoun civilians paid $1,000 each and, escorted by three Unionist Loudoun Rangers, ambushed and killed him west of Lovettsville on April 5, 1865. Union Gen. John D. Stevenson, having called Mobberly the leader of "a gang of murderers," displayed his body in front of Stevenson's Harpers Ferry headquarters. Days later, with the war ending, Mobberly was buried at Salem Church, just south of here off the turnpike.

(Sidebar):
Epitaph on back of Mobberly's tombstone:
God bless thee brave soldier
Thy life's dream is o'er
For country and freedom
Thou wilt battle no more
To the land of the blessed
Thou hast gone to depart
With a smile on they face
And a joy in thy heart
Thrice hallowed the green spot
Where our hero is laid
His deeds from our memory
Shall nevermore fade
The stranger will say,
As he lingers around
'Tis the grave of a hero
'Tis liberty's mound

(War, US Civil) Includes location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Welcome to Port Royal

0
0
Jamaica, Kingston, Port Royal
Once called the "richest and wickedest city in the world," Port Royal was also the virtual capital of Jamaica. To it came men of all races, treasures of silks, doubloons and gold from Spanish ships, looted on the high seas by the notorious "Brethren of the Coast" as the pirates were called. From here sailed the fleets of Henry Morgan, later lieutenant-governor of Jamaica, for the sacking of Camaguey, Maracaibo, and Panama - and died here, despite the ministrations of his Jamaican folk-doctor. Admirals Lord Nelson and Benbow, the chilling Edward "Blackbeard" Teach, were among its inhabitants. The town flourished for 32 years until at 20 minutes to noon, June 7, 1692, it was partially buried in the sea by an earthquake.

(Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Disasters) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Flynt Building

0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
Built 1909 of red brick with frosted glass above wood awning. First housed a confectionary. Has ornate marble counter and back bar. Exterior remodeled 1950. Is oldest retail firm in town at original location. First owner was E. W. Flynt (1888-1968).

Recorded Texas Historical Landmark-1969


(Notable Buildings) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Heart Mountain High School:

Previous Flynt Building
0
0
Wyoming, Park County, near Ralston
As you look through the site glass, you see a concrete records vault, the only remnant of the high school that stood on this ground.
In early August 1942, the Heart Mountain project director hired Clifford D. Carter as superintendent and John Corbett as high school principal. Their immediate task was to find teachers. Twenty-six Caucasian teachers and four internees, the latter having been issued Wyoming teaching certificates stamped, "Valid at Heart Mountain only," were hired. Turnover was high, with Clarissa Corbett only teacher to remain through the life of the center.
Classes were conducted in barracks with 6 rooms in each building. Each room contained a coal stove, a single light fixture hanging from rafters, low wall partitions with open rafters and benches for seating. Initially there were no desks for students, no blackboards and few school supplies. Often 50 textbooks had to suffice for two hundred students. Students located near the stove sat perspiring, while those near the door and windows wore their coats to keep warm. In December 1942, Celotex insulation wallboard for partitioning arrived, but it was evident from the beginning that high school classes could not be successfully conducted in the barracks.
The high school building was completed for the 1943-1944 school term, constructed for the most part by the internees themselves, under the supervision of Bennett & Lewis Contractors of Billings, Montana. Tatsu Hori, an engineer at the Stanford Research Institute prior to his incarceration, designed the school's heating system. The high school had 39 classrooms, a gymnasium/auditorium, and other office space. It was not until the second year, that the center obtained enough textbooks and school supplies.
Heart Mountain High School had the normal curriculum of other Wyoming schools at the time. The journalism class published a mimeographed school paper, The Heat Mountain Eagle, and school annuals called The Heart Mountain Tempo were edited in the camp and sent out to be printed in 1944 and 1945.
Eventually, five elementary schools were consolidated into two schools, Lincoln and Washington. They were more centrally located within the camp but still in barracks.
Teachers developed curriculums believed to be most beneficial for students who had been stripped of their freedom, which also met the approval of the Wyoming State Board of Education. Not the least of problems was how to teach the tenets of democracy at the same time the students were looking out the window at guard towers and barbed wire fences. Heart Mountain High School graduated 808 students in its three-year existence. The Class of 1943 had 249 graduates, the Class of 1944 had 302 graduates and the Class of 1945 had 250 graduates. Ted Fujioka, the first high school student body president, enlisted in the U.S. Army and was killed in France.

(Education • War, World II • Asian Americans) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

Swisher County

0
0
Texas, Swisher County, Tulia
Formed from Young and Bexar
territories
Created:
August 21, 1876
Organized:
July 17, 1890
Named in honor of
James Gibson Swisher
1794-1864
Conspicuous for gallantry
at the storming of Bexar, 1835
Signer of the Texas
Declaration of Independence, 1836
County Seat, Tulia

(Settlements & Settlers) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.
Viewing all 72790 articles
Browse latest View live