Quantcast
Channel: The Historical Marker Database - New Entries
Browsing all 73119 articles
Browse latest View live

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Dubina

Texas, Fayette County, near WeimarDubina, which derives its name from the Czech word for oak grove, was founded in 1856 by a group of Moravian immigrants, including the Marak, Kahlich, Sramek, Peter,...

View Article



Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Green Lake

Texas, Calhoun County, near Port LavacaNamed for the nearby tidal lake of the same name, the community of Green Lake began to develop in the late 1840s, although records indicate there were some...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Wandke House

Texas, Fayette County, Round TopJohann Traugott Wandke (1808-1870) immigrated from Prussia to nearby La Grange with his wife Christiane and two daughters, Karoline and Christiane, in 1855. About 1860...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly

Texas, Calhoun County, near Port LavacaA Tennessean, Angelina Peyton came to Texas in 1822. With her husband, J.C. Peyton, she operated an inn in San Felipe, capital of the Austin colony. Peyton died...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Rabb's Prairie

Texas, Fayette County, near La GrangeThis portion of Fayette County is named for William Rabb (1770-1831), a prosperous miller from Pennsylvania who came to Texas in 1821 with members of his family....

View Article


Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Old Osage

Texas, Colorado County, near WeimarSite of 1820 trading post of Jesse Burnam. His ferry on the Colorado River helped Gen. Sam Houston reach San Jacinto, 1836. To cut off Santa Anna, Houston then burned...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Martin Allen

Texas, Austin County, near WallisAs a young man Martin Allen assisted his father, Benjamin, in surveying roads in their native state of Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Vice in 1804 and by 1810 they and...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Zapp Building

Texas, Fayette County, FayettevilleGerman native Hugo Zapp established his mercantile business in Fayetteville in 1865. In 1900, after a fire had burned his wooden store at this site, Zapp had this...

View Article


Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Beer Office and Bottling Company

Texas, Fayette County, La GrangeF.W. Grassmeyer commissioned German-Texan stonemasons to construct this Italianate style commercial building between 1856 and 1859. The structure served as a hotel until...

View Article


Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

The Public Hospital of 1773

Virginia, WilliamsburgIn 1773, when Williamsburg's Public Hospital opened, it was the first facility in America dedicated solely to the care and treatment of the insane. The original building burned in...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Frank E. Bellamy

Kansas, Montgomery County, Cherryvale To stimulate the patriotism of the Spanish-American War, President McKinley suggested a new pledge of allegiance be written and ask[ed] the patriotic organizations...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Dewlen - Spohnhauer Memorial Bridge

Kansas, Montgomery County, near IndependenceO. Glenn Dewlen Born Nov. 4, 1896 Killed Sept. 26, 1918 Argonne Forest Company "K" 137th Inf. 35th DivisionHarry F. Spohnhauer Born Oct. 11, 1896 Killed Nov....

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Replica of the Statue of Liberty

Kansas, Montgomery County, Independence [The original marker has been removed] Dedicated Feb. 17, 1952 by Boy Scouts of America Rededication by President Gerald R. Ford in memory Gary W. Moffatt...

View Article


Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

McAllister's Mill

Pennsylvania, Adams County, near GettysburgAt their grist mill on nearby Rock Creek, James McAllister and his family provided temporary shelter to hundreds of fugitive slaves. Now in ruin, it was part...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Blue Springs School 1920-1969

Alabama, Barbour County, Blue SpringsThe Blue Springs School was first established in 1920. The land was donated by Henry H Shepard. The Plans were drawn by the State School architect. The lumber was...

View Article


Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Grace Episcopal Church

Alabama, Barbour County, ClaytonThis church had its origins in a mission station established by the Rev. J. L. Gay in 1844. On May 10, 1872 the mission was formally accepted in the Diocese of Alabama...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Methodist Episcopal Church, South

Alabama, Henry County, AbbevilleErected to the glory of God, the Methodist Church in Abbeville was established circa 1830 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Circuit. The 1850 church was erected north of...

View Article


Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

The Bethune-Kennedy House

Alabama, Henry County, AbbevilleThis rare, dual front door, double pen Creole cottage was constructed circa 1840 on the military three-notch road, now Kirkland Street. It is the oldest remaining...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Miller – Martin Townhouse

Alabama, Barbour County, ClaytonJohn H. Miller built this Gothic Revival townhouse in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830s, settling in an...

View Article

Image may be NSFW.
Clik here to view.

Stoddard - Thompson Memorial Bell

Kansas, Montgomery County, IndependenceMrs. S.A. Stoddard, 1872 Frank Thompson, 1990 The Mite Society of the First Presbyterian Church presented this bell in 1872 in memory of Mrs. S.A. Stoddard, wife...

View Article
Browsing all 73119 articles
Browse latest View live