Quantcast
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel


Embed this content in your HTML

Search

Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Showcase


Channel Catalog



Channel Description:

History happened here.

older | 1 | .... | 2278 | 2279 | (Page 2280) | 2281 | 2282 | .... | 3106 | newer

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--16:31: U. S. Treasurer
  • Sturgis, Kentucky.
    Samuel Casey, 1788-1859, Treasurer of the United States, 1853-59, under Presidents Pierce and Buchanan. He resided 1811-1859 in Caseyville, three miles west. Elected clerk of Circuit and County Courts; later, 1830-32, member of the State Senate.

    (Government • Notable Persons • Politics) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    near Calhoun, Kentucky.
    Union Camp Site In July 1864 Co. D, 35th Regt. Ky. Vol. Mtd. Inf. camped, north on Houston land. Muster, Owensboro Oct. 2, 1863. Guarded area between Cumberland and Green Rivers. Part of Union force that defeated CSA Gen. . . .

    (War, US Civil) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--16:52: Casiano Éxiga Alley
  • , Mexico.
    Callejón Casiano Éxiga Este callejón recibió el nombre de Casiano Éxiga después de iniciada la Guerra de Independencia. El nombre perteneció a uno de los reos que liberó el párroco Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, el día que tocó . . .

    (Colonial Era • Wars, Non-US) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--18:13: Battle of New Orleans
  • Greenville, Kentucky.
    This lithograph of the Battle of New Orleans was published only 46 years afterward on January 12, 1861 in the widely read journal "Harper's Weekly" It depicts a sharpshooter and men loading long rifles for him...as is the . . .

    (Notable Persons • War of 1812) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--19:00: County Named, 1810
  • Morgantown, Kentucky.
    For Gen. Richard Butler, b. 1743, Ireland. Came to America, 1760. Officer during Revolutionary War. Indian agent, 1784; Supt. Indian Affairs for Northern Dist., 1785. With Geo. Rogers Clark negotiated Indian treaty, 1786. As . . .

    (Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--19:47: National Independence Museum
  • , Mexico.
    Museo de la Independencia Nacional Este edificio fue construido a finales del siglo XVIII por el insigne filántropo Don Francisco Miguel González, para establecer la primera cárcel en la Congregación de Nuestra Señora de los . . .

    (Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Wars, Non-US) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--20:14: Father Gonzalo de Tapia
  • , Mexico.
    1590 1990 Al primer misionero y fundador de esta Parroquia “San Luis Rey”, el venerable y virtuoso Padre Gonzalo de Tapia, S.J. en el cuarto centenario de la primera evangelizacion el pastor y el pueblo de San Luis de la Paz . . .

    (Churches & Religion • Colonial Era) Includes complete text, location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    near Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec.
    Le 1er juin 1857, peu après minuit, le paquebot le Canadian, qui avait quitté Liverpool le 20 mai avec 117 passagers de première classe et 250 immigrants, s'empale par un temps clair et une mer calme sur l'Algernon Rock . . .

    (Communications • Disasters • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/27/18--20:30: Old Calaboose
  • Wetumpka, Alabama.
    First Jail in Wetumpka

    (Notable Buildings) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Napa, California.
    Don Cayetano Juarez, (1809-1883) was given Rancho Tulocay in 1840 by General Mariano Vallejo for his decade of service to the government of Mexico, as a soldier and as mayordomo at Sonoma. He married Maria de Jesus Higuera . . .

    (Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Rogers City, Michigan.
    This parcel of property is historically important for several reasons. The home of Frederick Denny Larke was located along the Third Street side of the lot. Larke was one of the founders of Rogers City and a successful . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:42: Bethlehem Church I
  • Irmo, South Carolina.
    The organization date of this Lutheran church is unknown. In 1788, however, Bethlehem and fourteen other churches signed the articles of the "Corpus Evangelicum," an early church supervising body. By 1815, Bethlehem's first . . .

    (Churches & Religion) Includes complete text, location, directions, 6 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:42: Dahlonega Stories
  • Dahlonega, Georgia.
    In 1935 W.A. Whitmire tore down and earlier frame structure and erected this building as a general merchandise store. When Don and Mary Miller purchased the property in 1976, they remodeled it as Mary’s Mini-Mall and rented . . .

    (Industry & Commerce) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:46: Bethlehem Church II
  • Irmo, South Carolina.
    Bethlehem Lutheran Church erected its first known building about 350 feet north of here on a 17-acre tract purchased from George Metz in 1817. According to tradition, the church was first called Ellisor Church after people . . .

    (Churches & Religion) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:46: Dahlonega Stories
  • Dahlonega, Georgia.
    Dr. Homer Head erected this building in 1910 to house his medical office upstairs and the Bank of Dahlonega on the main floor. The old bank vault and a rare cannonball safe are still visible. The structure is made of . . .

    (Industry & Commerce) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:53: Little Zion Baptist Church
  • Blythewood, South Carolina.
    The congregation at Little Zion dates to c. 1832, when enslaved individuals worshipped in white-controlled churches. After emancipation, these former slaves founded independent congregations like this one. A group led by . . .

    (Churches & Religion) Includes complete text, location, directions, 6 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:56: Dahlonega Stories
  • Dahlonega, Georgia.
    This architect-designed building, constructed in 1942, is a good example of a "Great Depression" era community project accomplished in cooperation with the National Youth Administration. Local in-kind contributions included . . .

    (Charity & Public Work • Education • Women) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--08:57: Bethel Lutheran Church
  • White Rock, South Carolina.
    This church, organized in 1762 by German colonists, is one of the first Lutheran congregations in the Dutch Fork region. Incorporated in 1788 as “the German Lutheran Church of Bethel on High Hill Creek,” it first met in a . . .

    (Churches & Religion) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--09:02: Fort Mountain
  • near Chatsworth, Georgia.
    The mountain to the west is Fort Mountain (Elevation 2,840’), which is part of the Cohutta Mountain Range. “Cohutta” is an English translation of a Cherokee word. It means “a shed roof supported on poles” and describes how . . .

    (Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/28/18--09:14: Dahlonega Stories
  • Dahlonega, Georgia.
    The first building on the site was a trading post (c. 1830) known as “the Bruce Stand.” Sheriff John F. Sargent purchased the site in 1908 and razed the existing structure to build the present building, which opened as the . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

older | 1 | .... | 2278 | 2279 | (Page 2280) | 2281 | 2282 | .... | 3106 | newer