Quantcast
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel


Embed this content in your HTML

Search

Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Showcase


Channel Catalog



Channel Description:

History happened here.

older | 1 | .... | 2232 | 2233 | (Page 2234) | 2235 | 2236 | .... | 3101 | newer

    0 0

    Burton, Ohio.
    Side A In 1796, surveyors for the Connecticut Land Company designated an area five miles square surrounding this place as Range 7, Township 7 of the Connecticut Western Reserve. A landowner's expedition on June 15, 1798, . . .

    (Notable Places) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--07:51: Athens County Infirmary
  • near Chauncey, Ohio.
    In the first quarter of the nineteenth century, when the general public believed that the insane and paupers could be rehabilitated into productive citizens, the Ohio Legislature gave authorization to county commissioners to . . .

    (Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine) Includes complete text, location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--09:47: Parsonage House
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    The Parsonage house was the permanent house for the superior of the Mission. It is shown with a stone foundation. The west extension is depicted with a board floors, possibly a porch-like structure. The building was . . .

    (Churches & Religion) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--09:56: Mission Landing
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    The Coeur d'Alene River is moderately visible from this vista point. The river aided in popularizing the Sacred Heart Mission by creating a steamboat access for outlying communities. For one dollar, passengers could enjoy . . .

    (Waterways & Vessels) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--10:07: Lodging for Travelers
  • Cataldo, Idaho.
    The sketch drawn in 1860, shows a long multiple-unit structure parallel to the church. It housed the Mission brothers and travelers, a kitchen and repair shop. Some of the prominent travelers who visited the Mission and . . .

    (Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--10:18: Stock and Crop Barn
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    In 1853, Issac I. Stevens, Governor of the Washington Territory, described the Mission as being composed of buildings enclosing a square, some being quite old, but the barn was large and new. One-half of the barn was . . .

    (Agriculture • Animals) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--10:29: Grist Mill
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    The horse-powered grist mill is shown with a half-timbered frame. Brother "blacksmith" (either brother Charles Huet or Classans), and brother Magri collaborated on fashioning the grist mill in 1848. This would be before . . .

    (Agriculture) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--10:37: Old River Channel
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    The Coeur d'Alene River once flowed through here. Dams raised the level of Lake Coeur d'Alene causing the river to develop new channels. Annual flooding now furnishes water and silt to this former river bed.

    (Waterways & Vessels) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--10:51: Dug-Out Canoe
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    This type of canoe was not used by the Coeur d'Alene until the arrival (of the) pioneer settlers. Combined with iron tooling and burning, it took two men up to eight weeks to build. The Indians preferred their traditional . . .

    (Waterways & Vessels) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--11:02: Indian Village
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    Records indicate that a least forty Coeur d'Alene Indians lived in permanent residence at the Mission site. The village was make up of a mixture of log cabins, Native American mat lodges and an occasional tipi. E.S. Glover . . .

    (Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--11:12: Main Cemetery
  • near Cataldo, Idaho.
    The main cemetery with log houses (grave houses) was located in this area. The limits of this have not been fully established (as of 1976); but according to the Mission records, well over 300 people have been buried here. . . .

    (Cemeteries & Burial Sites) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--12:20: Civil War Cannon
  • Burton, Ohio.
    In 1877, Burton Village merchants purchased this ten-pound Parrott gun from the War Department in Washington, D.C. The cannon is said to have been fired at Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, during the Civil War. The inauguration . . .

    (Politics • War, US Civil) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Burton, Ohio.
    Soldier of the Revolution Pioneer Missionary and Educator of the Western Reserve Founder of the Burton Academy in this village in 1805 Marked on July 24, 1926

    (Education • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Burton, Ohio.
    Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution buried in Burton, Ohio This tablet was placed by citizens of Burton and dedicated by the Western Reserve Society, Sons of the American Revolution September 12, . . .

    (War, US Revolutionary) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Burton, Ohio.
    Side A The Second High School This Queen Anne style building with segmental-arched windows and steep hipped roof was Burton's second high school. Completed in 1885 at a cost of $12,500, it is wood framed with a brick and . . .

    (Architecture • Education) Includes complete text, location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--14:07: Robinson’s Cave
  • New Straitsville, Ohio.
    On a forested hillside south of New Straitsville. the spacious 1000 square foot Robinson’s Cave offered a secluded location with great acoustics where large groups of Hocking Valley coal miners could meet in secret. . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions • Natural Resources) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--15:06: Under This Penstock Base
  • Burton, Ohio.
    Stood the original stone marking the common corners of Lots 35 & 36 and 45 & 46 from which the Village of Burton was surveyed.

    (Settlements & Settlers) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Burton, Ohio.
    Side A In recognition of its noteworthy representation of the history, culture, and architecture of the Western Reserve, Burton Village's Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The . . .

    (Architecture • Politics • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--15:26: The Hickox Brick
  • Burton, Ohio.
    Built in 1838 by Eleazer Hickox who came to Burton in 1804. The frame annex is part of the old home of Thomas Umberfield, the first white settler in this, Geauga County. He arrived here in 1798.

    (Architecture • Settlements & Settlers) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 09/01/18--15:31: Burton
  • Burton, Ohio.
    Here was the first telephone station in the state of Ohio in 1877

    (Notable Places) Includes location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

older | 1 | .... | 2232 | 2233 | (Page 2234) | 2235 | 2236 | .... | 3101 | newer