Vidalia, Louisiana. Folklore and legend swirl around the famous Sand Bar Duel of September 1827, which involved the adventurous James Bowie. What began as a "gentlemen's duel" between Dr. Thomas H. Maddox and Samuel L. Wells on a sand bar in . . .
Hanoverton, Ohio. The Old Town Pump the pump, located on Canal St. just west of the Mansion Hotel, was the first public well in Hanover. it was dug in 1845 A grateful community thanks John Wargo Walt Watson Joe Davis John Simonds for this . . .
(Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 6 photos, GPS coordinates, map.
near Crowley, Colorado. Times of Thriving, Times of Striving Fertile soil and plenty of irrigation water set the stage for farms that thrived for forty years, beginning in 1919. The area around Crowley was bursting with orchards, vegetable farms, . . .
, Turkey. English Text: A result of excavations carried out on the Yeslova Mound, located in the sub-district of Bornova on the eastern side of the Bay of Izmir, it has become clear that Izmir's past goes back 8500 years. The first . . .
(Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 7 photos, GPS coordinates, map.
, Turkey. English Text The agora of Smyrna was the city's administrative, political, judicial, and commercial center. It was located in the center and covered a rectangular area in conformance with the gridiron plan of the city. . . .
(Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.
Wills Point, Texas. The First Baptist Church of Wills Point was founded in 1873, with Dr. J. L. Matthews, a doctor of medicine, serving as the first pastor. In 1876 the 30-member congregation erected a building, which is said to have been . . .
Wills Point, Texas. German brothers B. W. and Isaac Edward “Ike” Rose came to nearby Cedar Grove in 1873 and the same year moved to Wills Point, where they opened Rose Dry Goods Store. In 1884, Ike moved to Dallas and was a successful . . .
Leona, Texas. Here a log building was erected in 1846. County officials installed Nov. 12, 1846 Geo. V. Lusk, Chief Justice Wm. Childress, Probate Judge Israel P. Reinhardt, County Clerk Wm. B. Middleton, Sheriff David Foster, Coroner . . .
Centerville, Texas. Built 1887 of slate brick, locally made. One of oldest Texas courthouses still in its original state. County created in 1846. County seat was moved from Leona to Centerville in 1850. Two earlier courthouses have occupied . . .
New Baden, Texas. Founded by German, Prussian, and Swiss immigrants in 1881, New Baden was named for the German town of Baden-Baden. The immigrants built a central building known as the Colony House to provide lodging for families while homes . . .
near Franklin, Texas. Settled by people from Tennessee under an 1822 contract held by Sterling Clack Robertson (1785-1842), who later signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Colony and county were named for him. County was created Dec. 14, . . .
Wills Point, Texas. In the early 1920s, an atmosphere of gratefulness for the end of World War I was prevalent throughout the country. In Wills Point, a sense of optimism and interest in urban development led to the formation of a chamber of . . .
Franklin, Texas. The city of Franklin housed a library of 1,000 volumes in its City Hall before 1913. In February that year, Franklin Mayor R. M. Cole (1848-1931) applied to the Carnegie Corporation of New York for funds to build a new . . .
Kyle, Texas. Two antebellum settlements, the Blanco or Nance community (7 mi. W) and Mountain City (3 mi. W), provided the early population and business for Kyle after the city was founded in 1880. Fergus Kyle, for whom the town was . . .
Kyle, Texas. Bridge No. 44, now known as the Bunton Branch Bridge, is located just north of Kyle on a north-south section of road that parallels Interstate 35, a remnant of the 1915 Austin-Aan Antonio post road. The bridge crosses Bunton . . .
Franklin, Texas. Erected in 1882 at a cost of $30,000, this white limestone building is the fourth to serve as Robertson County Courthouse. In 1879 the county seat had been moved for the fifth time, to Morgan, on the International & Great . . .