Quantcast
Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel


Embed this content in your HTML

Search

Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Showcase


Channel Catalog



Channel Description:

History happened here.

older | 1 | .... | 2127 | 2128 | (Page 2129) | 2130 | 2131 | .... | 3101 | newer

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--11:14: Historical Site
  • Los Angeles, California.
    This block is the site of: First brick school house in Los Angeles known as School No. 1, built 1854-1855 Butterfield Overland Mail Company office and corral 1858-1861 Office of U.S. Quartermaster 1861 Corral for camels from . . .

    (Animals • Communications • Education • Politics) Includes complete text, location, directions, 7 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--11:24: Kirby Smith Invades Kentucky
  • Jellico, Tennessee.
    Heth's Division, with the army's artillery and subsistence trains, passed into Kentucky through Walker's and Big Creek Gaps, while other combat elements of the Army of East Tennessee moved through Roger's Gap. The two . . .

    (War, US Civil) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--11:59: Cripplegate
  • , United Kingdom.
    Site of Cripplegate Demolished 1760

    (Forts, Castles) Includes location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--12:04: United States Post Office
  • Lead, South Dakota.
    Lead's Post Office, which had been located in the Hearst Mercantile Building on North Mill Street since 1897, moved into this imposing structure in 1912. Congress had appropriated money for the new post office several years . . .

    (Communications • Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 6 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--12:18: John B. Franke
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana.
    “Well done, good and faithful servant.” (Ft. Wayne Chamber of Commerce – Jan. 7, 2927) J.B. Franke dedicated his lift to service of others. He donated 80 acres to the City of Fort Wayne, which is now known as Franke park. . . .

    (Notable Persons) Includes complete text, location, directions, 5 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Fairmount Heights, Maryland.
    The Pinkney House is representative of the American Foursquare, a popular dwelling type with a square floor plan. The Henry Pinckney House is a large two-story dwelling with a hip roof pierced by gable dormers on . . .

    (African Americans • Architecture) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--14:19: Rex Hotel
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    This site - Lot 9 Block 45 - housed what in later years would be known as the Rex Hotel. Glenwood Springs founder Isaac Cooper first owned the property, but between 1887 to 1892, ownership changed hands several times. During . . .

    (Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--14:46: Star Hotel
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    In 1906 Henry Bosco had a whole liquor and Coca-Cola bottling business operating in the basement of a saloon at 414 Seventh Street. Within a few years, Henry purchased the building that housed his business and the adjacent . . .

    (Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--15:02: Hotel Denver
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    In the late 1800's to the early 1900's, saloons, restaurants, and rooming houses occupied this block. In 1904, Frank Walter constructed two buildings - one three-story - in the block. Walter leased the ground floor of the . . .

    (Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    The Citizens National Bank Building stands as Glenwood Springs landmark. The Citizens Building and Improvement Company was founded in 1910. Construction of the Citizens National Bank Building began in January, 1913. The . . .

    (Architecture • Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Lead, South Dakota.
    This former Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1889 by John Neimi and John Saari, and was located on Lot 11 East Main Street. It is significant as the only remaining institutional building which marks the . . .

    (Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Women) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--15:55: Gillespie Hall
  • Williamsburg, Kentucky.
    Originally Johnson Hall, it was renamed Gillespie Hall in 1995. Built in 1893 and dedicated on February 11, 1894, in memory of William James Johnson, college's first president. Girls occupied the hall for first year; boys . . .

    (Education • Women) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--16:32: I.O.O.F. Building
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    Sovereign Grand Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F) working hard to establish their own permanent meeting place. After being in many different locations in the downtown, the began construction of their new . . .

    (Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--17:18: McCoy-Armory Building
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    This current address has incorporated numbers 827 and 829 Grand Avenue. The earliest maps show buildings on this site since 1888, but the year 1913 has J.F. McCoy constructing his building. In 1917, the State of Colorado . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0

    Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    On March 15, 1887, excavation for a three-story brick and stone building began on lots at 802 Grand Avenue for the First National Bank building. At the time, The Glenwood Echo newspaper reported that the First National Bank . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine) Includes complete text, location, directions, 2 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--18:47: Ben and Pat Abruzzo
  • Cedar Crest, New Mexico.
    Ben Abruzzo 1930 – Rockford, Illinois Pat Abruzzo 1932 – Rockford, Illinois 1985 – Albuquerque, New Mexico Ben Abruzzo was one of those rare individuals who undertake great enterprises – adventures of the human spirit which . . .

    (Air & Space • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--19:26: A National Cemetery System
  • Marietta, Georgia.
    Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury . . .

    (Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil) Includes complete text, location, directions, 4 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--19:47: The Hotel Glenwood
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    The original building at this site was built in 1883 and was called the Hotel Colorado. It was quickly found too small for its needs and plans were made to replace it. In 1884, Isaac Cooper, William Gelder, and Joseph . . .

    (Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons) Includes complete text, location, directions, 1 photo, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--19:48: Hughes-Anderson Building
  • Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    The commercial building at 824-826 Grand Avenue was constructed in 1888. The brick building was initially occupied by a hardware store and an agricultural implement shop on the first floor, furnished rooms on the second . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

    0 0
  • 07/13/18--20:13: Shakespeare's Head
  • , United Kingdom.
    The Shakespeare's Head, which was built in 1735, was originally owned by Thomas & John Shakespeare, who were distant relatives of the poet. In its early days, the tavern stood on the boundary line that divided the lands of . . .

    (Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers) Includes complete text, location, directions, 3 photos, GPS coordinates, map.

older | 1 | .... | 2127 | 2128 | (Page 2129) | 2130 | 2131 | .... | 3101 | newer